Sunday, January 20, 2008

How to Make Compost Tea for your Garden

Would you like to give your garden a boost of natural fertilizer? Here s a way to make your own by using garden clippings and leftovers from your kitchen. I enjoy taking a cup of tea or coffee outside to my “thinking” spot as my 5-year-old grandson calls it, and enjoy the beauty of nature around me. I noticed that some of my plants look like they could use a boost, perhaps some fertilizer, but I’m not into putting chemicals into my body or my garden. I found a great natural recipe for compost tea that I’d like to share with you. It takes a few weeks to prepare, but you’ll only need a few organic ingredients. If you have a compost pile, you won’t have to buy a thing to get started. Composting is a great way to get rid of your meatless kitchen scraps, and provide natural nourishment for all your plants. Use grass clippings, leaves, plant material, and any uncooked scraps from the crisper drawer of your refrigerator. Compost Tea ½ Cup Epsom Salt (optional) 5 gallons of non-chlorinated water (rainwater is perfect) 5 pounds of compost (stinging nettle or alfalfa meal may be substituted) Mix all ingredients in a large container, then cover with a lid and let it ferment for about 1-3 weeks, stirring everyday (it will smell bad). Once it stops bubbling it’s ready to use. Strain the tea into plastic or glass jugs and store in a cool place. When ready to use, you must dilute the tea! Add 1 cup of tea to 10 cups of water. Drench the soil around your plants. Your flowers will love this natural boost of energy from Mother Nature and you will enjoy knowing that you are being environmentally responsible. Yvonne Perry is a freelance writer and the owner of Write On! Creative Writing Services based in Nashville, Tennessee. She and her team of ghostwriters service clients all over the globe by offering quality writing on a variety of topics at an affordable price. If you need a brochure, web text, business document, resume, bio, article or book, visit yvonneperry.net .

No comments: